Monday, July 9, 2012

Sauteed Vegetables with Pesto


It's almost summertime, which means it's been nice outside and therefore, I have been horrible about posting recently.  Don't worry, I have been cooking up a storm and have lots of new recipes to share as soon as I can get them up!

I made this recipe on a rainy, humid day, so our usual summer nightly routine of grilling something for dinner wasn't in the cards.  I had a basil plant that had been climbing the wall in my kitchen, so a batch of pesto was definitely the solution!

Here's a really easy and healthy way to use pesto.  Just saute your favorite veggies, add pesto and heat through.  Seriously, it's just that easy.

Sauteed Vegetables with Pesto

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of my Basic Basil Pesto recipe*
- 6 cups of your favorite vegetable (I used broccoli for the purposes of this post)
- Cooking spray
- Freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste
*I didn't have a food processor on hand, so our not so great smoothie maker was a stand-in.  Turned out a little too finely pureed for my preference but the taste was still spot-on.

Preparation:
- Spray a nonstick skillet with some nonstick cooking spray and heat on medium-high heat
- Add your veggies and saute until golden brown



- Add half a cup of pesto (try my homemade version; it's really good!) or a little more to your taste.



- Heat through but be careful not to burn.


Tah-dah!  The finished product

I served the pesto broccoli alongside some simple pan-seared salmon and whole wheat vegetable couscous.


This recipe even made enough for leftovers, which will be delicious in somebody's lunch tomorrow...



Happy experimenting with pesto and your favorite veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment