Monday, March 26, 2012

Chicken with Mushroom Sauce

So, I usually plan what I'm making for dinner by walking around in the supermarket, looking for inspiration.  And by inspiration, I mean good deals on ripe produce (when is the farmer's market coming back again so I can get real produce??).  I know that's a little backwards from how most people plan their weekly meals, but that's just how I've always done it.  This week, mushrooms were on special and I had plenty of chicken breasts taking up space in my crowded freezer...thus, this recipe was born.

Chicken with Mushroom Sauce

For the Chicken:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp poultry seasoning
Freshly cracked pepper, garlic salt and poultry seasoning

For the Sauce:
1 tsp oil (only add this if the pan looks too dry)
1/3 cup chopped vidalia onion (you could also use shallot)
1 package mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 cup white wine (use what you like and always pour a glass for the chef for ‘quality control’ purposes! - I used pinot grigio)
1 cup chicken broth (homemade is the best but if you don't have time, low-sodium, fat free stock in a carton will do just fine)
1 tsp all-purpose flour (I used 2 and the sauced thickened too quickly, so next time, I will only use half the amount)
1 tbsp parsley, chopped very fine (I only had dried lying around, so I used that and it worked well)
Freshly cracked sea salt and pepper to taste
*Garlic would have been a great idea in this recipe but I didn't have any in the house...note for next time!


Cooking the Chicken:
- Season pounded chicken with poultry seasoning, garlic salt and pepper on both sides


- Add canola oil to a large nonstick pan and heat over high heat
- Sautee chicken for about 1.5-2 minutes on each side or until brown on the outside and cooked through (it happens fast; do not overcook!)


- Wrap cooked chicken with foil so that the juices can redistribute and it stays warm


Now for the Sauce:
*In a measuring cup, stir together chicken broth and flour until flour is dissolved; set aside
- Use the same pan that you used to cook the chicken and do not rinse! Leave heat on medium-high
- Add onion and mushrooms to pan, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until brown


- Add wine and parsley; boil until almost completely dissolved
- Add chicken broth slurry and cook until the mixture thickens


- Pour sauce over chicken and serve! It got two thumbs up and the seal of deliciousness to go up on the blog!

I served this recipe with roasted carrots to add move vegetable goodness without resorting to a starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment