Sunday, March 25, 2012
Banana Bread Oatmeal
This weekend was the best kind of healthy entertaining because it also happened to be my baby sister's bachelorette party. After spending Friday night watching chick flicks and Saturday brunching and getting pampered at the spa, we thought we would continue the fun into Sunday morning with a healthy breakfast. Now, we are both serious oatmeal lovers...so much so that we even eat it for dinner in a savory fashion (recipe for that to come!).
This morning, I surveyed my surroundings for oatmealcious inspiration and came up with...
Banana Bread Oatmeal (I swear it tastes just like banana bread but you don't have to feel guilty about eating it!)
- 1/3 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 1/3 cup quick cooking Irish steel cut oats
- 1 1/3 cups skim milk
- 1 mashed banana- leave some little chunks for texture
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar (I used granulated because it was all that was in the pantry this morning but you could substitute with fake sugar, brown sugar, agave, honey, etc.)
* Would also be delicious with slivered or sliced almonds!
I tried to add cocoa powder and a few dark chocolate chips, but my suggestion got vetoed. If anyone tries that, please let me know!
Mix all ingredients together
We let the mixture soak for 30 minutes but you can skip that step if you're in a hurry
Preheat oven to 360F
Spray two ramekins with nonstick cooking spray
Bake for 30 minutes
Turn heat up to 450F and bake for another 5 minutes to get a nice crust on the top and sides
This smelled and tasted EXACTLY like banana bread. Not too sweet and had a perfect balance of flavors!
Note: This recipe was supposed to be for two people...but each of us only ate half. Leftovers tomorrow morning!