Monday, April 2, 2012

Baby Bellas Stuffed with Ricotta and Broccoli

I LOVE STUFFED MUSHROOMS.

Really, I love any type of mushroom and I'm always looking for clever ways to incorporate them into sauces, soups. apps...just about anywhere.  Add some cheese?  Even better.

My friend Annie invited a bunch of us over for a cookout...and of course, the weather decided not to cooperate at the last minute.  As luck would have it, we decided to have a fondue night.  Cheese might be my favorite food, so I was pretty excited about mother nature's decision to rain all over our fun night.  She asked me to bring a side dish...so, naturally, stuffed mushrooms go with fondue, right?  Well, I figured I should at least attempt something healthy since the rest of the night would feature everyone stuffing their faces with melted cheese.  Not that I can think of any better way to spend a night...

I've made greek stuffed mushrooms (feta, spinach, ground turkey) a million times, so this was my attempt to change up the standard recipe.

Ingredients (this will make WAY more stuffing than you actually need for the quantity of mushrooms.  I make extra on purpose because it is delicious with pasta either by itself or stirred together with an equal part of fresh marinara sauce):
- 24 stuffing mushrooms (I used baby portabellas but you can use stuffing button mushrooms, whole portabellas, or just about any mushroom you can stuff)
- 1 large container of lowfat or part-skim ricotta
- 1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 broccoli crowns, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
- Chopped mushroom stems from the stuffing mushrooms (just add them all)
Freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
- Combine ricotta, both cheeses and egg until well mixed; set aside
- Saute onion and garlic on medium-low heat until translucent and cooked through; add broccoli
- Cook for a few minutes until broccoli is about halfway cooked
- Add broccoli mixture to ricotta mixture; stir until everything is evenly coated



- Wash dirt off of mushrooms
- Remove stems; chop and add to ricotta mixture


- Generously stuff mushrooms with ricotta/broccoli mixture...and by "stuff", I mean "overload".


- Cook mushrooms in a 425F preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until desired level of cooking

These were a different and healthy spin on traditional stuffed mushrooms and disappeared pretty quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment