Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Salsa Chicken


Mexican food is one of my all-time favorites.  However, it doesn't always get high points in the health department.  Since chicken is so versatile and popular, I thought I would experiment with a few things I know go together.  I forgot to take pictures this time but will be sure to post some the next time I make it.

Salsa Chicken (Serves 4)

Ingredients:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut in 1” strips
1 cup fresh salsa (I use the one in the produce section because it tastes fresher than jarred)
1 tsbp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper
- Put 1/2 cup of the salsa in a small food processor
- In a large resealable freezer bag, put chicken, olive oil and the processed salsa
- Massage chicken so that it is covered with the salsa mixture; place in fridge for a few hours

When you’re ready to serve… beware, this recipe is quick, so grill the chicken last!
- Heat outdoor grill (this also works well on a grill pan indoors if the weather is bad)
- Place chicken on grill; turn once when chicken releases easily from grill
- Top with remainder of salsa on plate before serving

Serve with:
More salsa
Low-fat sour cream
Guacamole (good fat!)
Diced onions
Baked tortilla chips (I don't like them as much as regular ones, so you could opt for just a few multi-grain ones instead)

Side suggestions:
Grilled corn on the cob
Mexicorn
Vegetarian or low-fat baked beans (Cowboy baked beans are one of my favorites; will post recipe soon!)
Three-bean salad (recipe to come!)

No comments:

Post a Comment