Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Cod Cakes


I have some cod in the freezer that needs to be used.  Tired of making the same old sauteed/grilled fish recipes and since ‘tis the season for crab cakes in Baltimore, I wondered…

Could I use cod in place of crab?

Now, I’ve never made crab cakes before…nor, have I ever tried a fish cake other than a crab cake.  Does a fish stick count??

So, I began my internet journey of trying to find a crab cake recipe that I could adapt for my healthy blog; then insert cod.  I scoured the internet and was able to find enough recipes that I got the gist of what to do.  Haven't tried this one yet but I think the recipe is solid and plan to do so in the next few weeks.  In the meantime, feel free to try it out and post comments!

Cod Cakes (Serves 2)

Ingredients:
- 2 pieces of cod, lightly seared in a pan and flaked (I used frozen, vacuum-sealed cod for this recipe)
- ½ egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (plain would be best, but I used Italian because it was all I had in the house)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Few dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Few squeezes lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- Freshly cracked salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together beaten egg, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, mustard, Old Bay, salt and pepper.
- Add onion, garlic and bread crumbs; stir
- Gently fold in the flaked cod so as not to break up chunks
- Form into 2 even patties
- Bake for about 10 minutes until bottom is golden brown
- Flip and do the same on the other side (less than 10 minutes on second side)

Top with hot sauce, ketchup, cocktail sauce or just plain lemon juice.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment