Friday, April 27, 2012

Coconut Oatmeal

My baby sister is getting married tomorrow!  That definitely called for a few girls' nights, so I came out here to share in the pre-wedding festivities.

Every time I'm out at my parents' house, we have awesome breakfasts, courtesy of my mom.  My contribution today was a baked coconut oatmeal.  I concocted this recipe because we're all oatmeal, coconut and walnut fans.  Plus, we definitely need our energy with the upcoming weekend!

If you like oatmeal and coconut, this recipe is absolutely DELICIOUS.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1 1/2 cups skim milk
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
A few drops coconut extract
(other additions could be mashed banana, which my brother-in-law vetoed, dried fruit, other types of nuts, almond extract)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 360F
Spray oven-proof dish lightly with nonstick cooking spray
Mix all ingredients together and pour into baking dish
Bake 40 minutes until golden brown on top and edges
*Apologies for the bad quality blackberry pictures!
*After 20 minutes

*When finished cooking

You can even throw in a few dark chocolate chips to make it taste like a chocolate coconut candy bar...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment